Login or register with Wargaming Account

GraKa

Post things that don't have to remain secret here.
Access: Registered users (read&post) and guests (read only).

Moderators: Officer (WoT), Commander (WoT)

Re: GraKa

Postby dfx » 11 Nov 2015 13:09

Not_a_Tesla wrote:AMD has problems with GPU drivers, and diffrence betweeen 4th and 5th gen intels is mostly in power consumption.



Get your facts straight, dude. I, as a geforce user, can tell you the problem sits in front of the pc. Don't follow the bullshit-stream on the internet. During the last years I used quite some gpus (HD5770 (CF), HD6870 (CF), GTX 470, GTX 480, HD7970 (CF), GTX 680, GTX 970M) and all worked fine - some drivers worked quite well others didn't. I used BETA drivers, (non) WHQL certified, (self)modded and so on. But at the end of the day all cards did their job. Don't use beta drivers or always the newest ones and complain afterwards that u had bugs and stuff.

Since Sandy bridge cpus were released (ix-2xxx -series) nothing really happened performance-wise, because AMD wasn't able to release anything competitive - sadly enough.
  • 1

User avatar
dfx

 
Posts: 425
Reputation: 450

Re: GraKa

Postby Swoopie » 11 Nov 2015 13:30

In other news: https://np.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/co ... al/cwukpuc

Found that actually quite interesting read.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
Swoopie

Officer
Officer
 
Posts: 1657
Location: Suomifinlandperkele
Reputation: 1502

Re: GraKa

Postby Winter » 11 Nov 2015 14:30

dfx wrote:
Not_a_Tesla wrote:AMD has problems with GPU drivers, and diffrence betweeen 4th and 5th gen intels is mostly in power consumption.



Get your facts straight, dude. I, as a geforce user, can tell you the problem sits in front of the pc. Don't follow the bullshit-stream on the internet. During the last years I used quite some gpus (HD5770 (CF), HD6870 (CF), GTX 470, GTX 480, HD7970 (CF), GTX 680, GTX 970M) and all worked fine - some drivers worked quite well others didn't. I used BETA drivers, (non) WHQL certified, (self)modded and so on. But at the end of the day all cards did their job. Don't use beta drivers or always the newest ones and complain afterwards that u had bugs and stuff.

Since Sandy bridge cpus were released (ix-2xxx -series) nothing really happened performance-wise, because AMD wasn't able to release anything competitive - sadly enough.


Since we're going off of personal experience, I've had both an AMD CPU and an ATI graphics card and both were the biggest pieces of shit I've ever owned as far as hardware is concerned. Seems about as valid as your argument there, so I think it makes the internet right, me+internet vs. you = AMD SUCKS 2-1 AMD doesn't suck.
  • 0

Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
Winter

 
Posts: 524
Reputation: 625

Re: GraKa

Postby Dr_Mokka » 11 Nov 2015 14:48

Amd CPUs suck, no doubt about it. But their gpus are fine. I use nvidia myself, had 2x radeon before. Everything worked fine. If you build or rebuild a pc and you have to keep an eye on your budget, they are a reasonable alternative.
But fishis offer 50 bucks for the 660 is pretty good, you should do it. Also: take a look at eBay Kleinanzeigen. (you are German, if I recall correctly) sometimes you find real gems there.
  • 0

Image

Fonz: "GET OUT OF THE CHOPPAA"

"If someone damages a dog, I will become Kack Nichokson" - Kinderseele, 2k17

"I really need a lover" - Arturd, Summer2k17
User avatar
Dr_Mokka

Member
Member
 
Posts: 2585
Location: Germany, Worms
Reputation: 2110

Re: GraKa

Postby Rabidal » 11 Nov 2015 15:06

Fishys offer sounds nice, but I will go for something current.
Atm I'm going for a i5 6600 and a MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB, but I'll look around the internet till end of the month since I'm only a Student who has 800 bucks and get next month ~400 Bucks. Than I'll buy my new Setup and be back for some pew pew >:D
  • 0

"You don´t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."
User avatar
Rabidal

Member
Member
 
Posts: 610
Location: Germany, Muenster
Reputation: 183

Re: GraKa

Postby dfx » 11 Nov 2015 15:07

Ah, my forum's nemesis mr winter showed up with the usual hollandian weed-induced confusion and non-information. Remember: A bad workman always blames his tools. Btw. your samplesize isn't really convincing (ATI - really!? Maybe next time we should talk about Porsche WWII tanks first when the topic is about nowadays Porsche 911s) same goes for your equation.
  • 0

User avatar
dfx

 
Posts: 425
Reputation: 450

Re: GraKa

Postby Winter » 11 Nov 2015 15:24

No your sample size is much better and clearly significant, also it was called ATI for a good while after AMD purchased the company..



And yay, intel/nvidia.. good choice..
  • 0

Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
Winter

 
Posts: 524
Reputation: 625

Re: GraKa

Postby Dr_Mokka » 11 Nov 2015 15:36

Got the MSI gtx 970 myself, pretty good gpu, good choice. Keep in mind that the card has a problem with the last 0,5GB vram. It is slower than the other 3,5GB. Kind of stupid, I never had an issue with that, but it should be mentioned. Framerate is dropping significantly as soon as you need more than 3,5gb (never happened to me before, just saying)
  • 0

Image

Fonz: "GET OUT OF THE CHOPPAA"

"If someone damages a dog, I will become Kack Nichokson" - Kinderseele, 2k17

"I really need a lover" - Arturd, Summer2k17
User avatar
Dr_Mokka

Member
Member
 
Posts: 2585
Location: Germany, Worms
Reputation: 2110

Re: GraKa

Postby dfx » 11 Nov 2015 15:47

What do u want to spend all together ? @Rabidal
  • 0

User avatar
dfx

 
Posts: 425
Reputation: 450

Re: GraKa

Postby Winter » 11 Nov 2015 15:56

McMokka wrote:Got the MSI gtx 970 myself, pretty good gpu, good choice. Keep in mind that the card has a problem with the last 0,5GB vram. It is slower than the other 3,5GB. Kind of stupid, I never had an issue with that, but it should be mentioned. Framerate is dropping significantly as soon as you need more than 3,5gb (never happened to me before, just saying)


Weren't some people reporting coil whine on the MSI ones? It might have just been more reported on those as one of the most popular versions, but something to take into consideration.. (maybe they fixed it later, this was back when they were just released)
  • 0

Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
Winter

 
Posts: 524
Reputation: 625

Re: GraKa

Postby Rabidal » 11 Nov 2015 16:17

dfx wrote:What do u want to spend all together ? @Rabidal

Thought about this:
Intel i5 6600
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB
8GB RAM corsair DDR4 2400
Asus H170M-PLUS H170
Alpenföhn Brocken ECO
New case and my old HDD, Drive and beQuiet 700watt.
  • 0

"You don´t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."
User avatar
Rabidal

Member
Member
 
Posts: 610
Location: Germany, Muenster
Reputation: 183

Re: GraKa

Postby Dr_Mokka » 11 Nov 2015 16:54

Rabidal wrote:
dfx wrote:What do u want to spend all together ? @Rabidal

Thought about this:
Intel i5 6600
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB
8GB RAM corsair DDR4 2400
Asus H170M-PLUS H170
Alpenföhn Brocken ECO
New case and my old HDD, Drive and beQuiet 700watt.


Looks good.

@Winter: I had no issue with the coil whatsoever. While choosing which 970 i should take I was also looking around for reviews, and the MSIs seemed to be pretty solid. Mine is completely silent (beside the fans, obviously), so I can't confirm the mentioned issues. No idea if I was just lucky, though :P
  • 0

Image

Fonz: "GET OUT OF THE CHOPPAA"

"If someone damages a dog, I will become Kack Nichokson" - Kinderseele, 2k17

"I really need a lover" - Arturd, Summer2k17
User avatar
Dr_Mokka

Member
Member
 
Posts: 2585
Location: Germany, Worms
Reputation: 2110

Re: GraKa

Postby Winter » 11 Nov 2015 17:18

Did a quick google it seems to have been about as bad across all brands, not that many complaints recently though, might have just seemed worse because all the enthusiasts got it at first, heard about coil whine and started taping mics to their GPU to see if they could hear anything that wasn't fan noise..


GPU brand is mostly about service/warranty and what kind of cooler they put on it anyway, which are decent and great as far as MSI goes..
  • 0

Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
Winter

 
Posts: 524
Reputation: 625

Re: GraKa

Postby Brati007 » 11 Nov 2015 22:46

Winter wrote:Did a quick google it seems to have been about as bad across all brands, not that many complaints recently though, might have just seemed worse because all the enthusiasts got it at first, heard about coil whine and started taping mics to their GPU to see if they could hear anything that wasn't fan noise..


GPU brand is mostly about service/warranty
and what kind of cooler they put on it anyway, which are decent and great as far as MSI goes..


zotac masterrace, lets say they are 5% slower but need 20% less energy BUT you get 5 years of guarantee in europe for free which means alot to me since i was buildiung my first pc when i was 10 years old, i had alot of opportunities to be disappointed by hardware going rip 1month after the two years you normally have guarantee wise.
  • 0

"it will be way too much work for one hand" nazifish2k15
User avatar
Brati007

Member
Member
 
Posts: 2717
Location: GEMS Masterraceland
Reputation: 1047

Re: GraKa

Postby Not_a_Tesla » 11 Nov 2015 23:15

dfx wrote:
Not_a_Tesla wrote:AMD has problems with GPU drivers, and diffrence betweeen 4th and 5th gen intels is mostly in power consumption.



Get your facts straight, dude. I, as a geforce user, can tell you the problem sits in front of the pc. Don't follow the bullshit-stream on the internet. During the last years I used quite some gpus (HD5770 (CF), HD6870 (CF), GTX 470, GTX 480, HD7970 (CF), GTX 680, GTX 970M) and all worked fine - some drivers worked quite well others didn't. I used BETA drivers, (non) WHQL certified, (self)modded and so on. But at the end of the day all cards did their job. Don't use beta drivers or always the newest ones and complain afterwards that u had bugs and stuff.

Since Sandy bridge cpus were released (ix-2xxx -series) nothing really happened performance-wise, because AMD wasn't able to release anything competitive - sadly enough.

Just because you haven't got any problems with AMD GPU's doesn't mean they don't exist, i know last time i used red GPU it was ATI one, but i got friends having problems with it's drivers, also if you want use it with linux, then it's double trouble, even AMD fanboy i know recently has bought laptop with green GPU ;_;
  • 0

No Comrade Premier, it has only beguin.
User avatar
Not_a_Tesla

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii
 
Posts: 647
Reputation: 327

Re: GraKa

Postby Brati007 » 11 Nov 2015 23:22

Not_a_Tesla wrote:
dfx wrote:
Not_a_Tesla wrote:AMD has problems with GPU drivers, and diffrence betweeen 4th and 5th gen intels is mostly in power consumption.



Get your facts straight, dude. I, as a geforce user, can tell you the problem sits in front of the pc. Don't follow the bullshit-stream on the internet. During the last years I used quite some gpus (HD5770 (CF), HD6870 (CF), GTX 470, GTX 480, HD7970 (CF), GTX 680, GTX 970M) and all worked fine - some drivers worked quite well others didn't. I used BETA drivers, (non) WHQL certified, (self)modded and so on. But at the end of the day all cards did their job. Don't use beta drivers or always the newest ones and complain afterwards that u had bugs and stuff.

Since Sandy bridge cpus were released (ix-2xxx -series) nothing really happened performance-wise, because AMD wasn't able to release anything competitive - sadly enough.

Just because you haven't got any problems with AMD GPU's doesn't mean they don't exist, i know last time i used red GPU it was ATI one, but i got friends having problems with it's drivers, also if you want use it with linux, then it's double trouble, even AMD fanboy i know recently has bought laptop with green GPU ;_;


the mobile gpu solutions are actually better on the amd side, makes no sense to me :/

amd firepro vs nvidia quadro is also sort of interesting with each generation released
  • 0

"it will be way too much work for one hand" nazifish2k15
User avatar
Brati007

Member
Member
 
Posts: 2717
Location: GEMS Masterraceland
Reputation: 1047

Re: GraKa

Postby dfx » 11 Nov 2015 23:32

Useless discussion. Saying don't buy AMD because all drivers suck is just plain stupid. Sry.
BTW: "Fanboy" - really? How old are u - 16?

written on Intel + NV laptop
  • 0

User avatar
dfx

 
Posts: 425
Reputation: 450

Re: GraKa

Postby Not_a_Tesla » 11 Nov 2015 23:50

dfx wrote:Useless discussion. Saying don't buy AMD because all drivers suck is just plain stupid. Sry.
BTW: "Fanboy" - really? How old are u - 16?

written on Intel + NV laptop

i'm not saying that all AMD drivers suck, but you aways have chance that with certain hardware setup it won't work as intended.
How i should name person that glorifies AMD then?


@Brati: had no idea about this, any source?
  • 0

No Comrade Premier, it has only beguin.
User avatar
Not_a_Tesla

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii
 
Posts: 647
Reputation: 327

Re: GraKa

Postby Rabidal » 16 Nov 2015 20:34

Hey,
After some research I'm not sure which GraKa I should take.

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SuperClocked, &
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Since I could safe 40€ and don't find any reviews for my purpose. I need your help again O:)
  • 0

"You don´t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."
User avatar
Rabidal

Member
Member
 
Posts: 610
Location: Germany, Muenster
Reputation: 183

Re: GraKa

Postby Winter » 16 Nov 2015 20:43

Heard nothing but good things about EVGA, don't have any personal experience with actually doing an RMA with either manufacturer though.

Short of size difference and colours, I don't think there are too many arguments to take one over the other, if you want to save €40 euros I don't think you can go wrong getting EVGA (assuming that's cheaper seeing as that's the case over here).
  • 0

Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
Winter

 
Posts: 524
Reputation: 625

PreviousNext

Return to Public Friends' Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


Reputation System ©'