Login or register with Wargaming Account

Worth Reading

Post things that don't have to remain secret here.
Access: Registered users (read&post) and guests (read only).

Moderators: Officer, Commander

Re: Worth Reading

Postby Ephemerich » 08 Jul 2015 01:57

I've finished reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. What can I say, it's a great book. I think all gamers should read it. (No spoiler) It's about a contest that happens in near future where social interactions are dead completely, and there is this one giant MMO, which people use it to get away from their pathetic lives on earth. It is chaos out there thanks to the energy crisis, and technology and immersive gaming are so advanced that people start to confuse that MMO with reality.
It's a depressing era, and the events that happen during this contest are the story this book tells.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9969571-ready-player-one

Ephemerich

Postby Ephemerich » 12 Jul 2015 01:53

I've read Hopeless by Colleen Hoover. This was the last young adult book for me, not gonna read any of those craps anymore.
Oh god, we're so destined to be together, I cant live without you. You're my soulmate, omg omg omg!!! I swear having bromance with brati is more exiting.

Ephemerich

Postby AngryBanana » 24 Jul 2015 21:23

https://www.facebook.com/TheChieftainWa ... 301185451/
:O
Im hyped for this, those hunnicutt books are pretty hard to get and expensive too right now

AngryBanana

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Ephemerich » 17 Aug 2015 08:24

So, I've finished reading The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. That book has been waiting in my archive for a long time. I've tried reading it a few months ago but I forced to put it down just after finishing 2-3 chapters. If you didn't noticed from my previous posts, I was kind of struggling with the Sanderson sickness at that time.

As you know or guess, it takes some time to get familiar with a book, especially if that is a fantasy book. Immersing yourself in a world that doesn't exist requires some time and patient, it usually takes 50 to 100 pages of reading to have some basic idea about what's going on. This can be even more demanding if your mind is wondering some other places while you're reading, like the temptation of "why don't just read another Sanderson's book?"...

Luckily, The Name of The Wind is not a hard book to read. It doesn't throw unpronounceable names, complicated magic systems, unfamiliar animals/plants, demons, dragons at you from the first page (not like the fricking The Way Of Kings, urrrggghhh, even pronouncing the name of the main protagonist correctly took me like 200 pages). In addition to that, Patrick Rothfuss has a beautiful writing style, his every word is picked neatly, its like there was no other word to put there, no other word but the one Patrick used could catch the intended meaning. They flow like a river, very fluent. You don't stumble, you don’t stagger... I have to admit, The Name Of The Wind has one the best writing I have ever read. One can keep reading that book just for that.

Apart from its poetic writing style, it doesn’t show much similarity to other high fantasy books. There is not a catastrophic event that's about the destroy everything. There’s not a man or woman who changes the fate of the world all by him-herlself. We don’t see a OP hero. Actually the hero is pretty down to earth type of a guy. Of course he has his strengths, and differences, but not in an exaggerated way. I would assume, more or less it’s like Harry Potter, but I can’t be sure since I haven’t read Harry Potter.

Long story short, The Name of The Wind is a beautiful piece of art. It's a must read if you have any interest in fantasy, or literature maybe. The only downside is Patrick takes his time before publishing a book, like George RR Martin. The Name of The Wind is the first book of a series called The Kingkiller Chronicle, it was published in 2007, and Patrick’s second book, The Wise Man’s Fear (which I’m reading at the moment) was published in 2011. And finally, the last book of the series, Doors of Stone will be published in 2017… In other words, I’ll have to wait almost 2 years to read the last book after finishing the current one. And this is another reason why I had Sanderson sickness in the first place… Guy publishes 2 books per year, and lots of novellas.

PROLOGUE
A Silence of Three Parts

IT WAS NIGHT AGAIN. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts. The most obvious part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a wind it would have sighed through the trees, set the inn's sign creaking on its hooks, and brushed the silence down the road like trailing autumn leaves. If there had been a crowd, even a handful of men inside the inn, they would have filled the silence with conversation and laughter, the clatter and clamor one expects from a drinking house during the dark hours of night. If there had been music... but no, of course there was no music. In fact there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.

Inside the Waystone a pair of men huddled at one corner of the bar. They drank with quiet determination, avoiding serious discussions of troubling news. In doing this they added a small, sullen silence to the larger, hollow one. It made an alloy of sorts, a counterpoint.

The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened for an hour, you might begin to feel it in the wooden floor underfoot and in the rough, splintering barrels behind the bar. It was in the weight of the black stone hearth that held the heat of a long dead fire. It was in the slow back and forth of a white linen cloth rubbing along the grain of the bar. And it was in the hands of the man who stood there, polishing a stretch of mahogany that already gleamed in the lamplight.
The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty that comes from knowing many things. The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn's ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.

Ephemerich

Postby Ephemerich » 25 Aug 2015 19:19

The Wise Man's Fear has finished. Amazing book. The story didn't go the way I would like to see, but I loved it the way it went anyway. So, there is no complain. But I wonder how Rothfus will complete that story with only 1 book, there are a lot of things to be done. The only solution I can see is that the last book would be over a 1000 page long. Or there would be a forth book.

I've also read The Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades. First half of the first book was amazing. Because they were screwing each other like bunnies >:D And the rest was meh...

Reading Dune now... By the way, It seems like I'm the only one here who's reading books :Oo:

Ephemerich

Postby TrollinYou » 25 Aug 2015 19:32

Ephemerich wrote:By the way, It seems like I'm the only one here who's reading books :Oo:

just keep poasting, that way i don't have to read all the shitty ones. I've already read some of the ones mentioned here. this thread is golden :)

TrollinYou

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby BoogieM » 26 Aug 2015 08:57

Ephemerich wrote:Reading Dune now... By the way, It seems like I'm the only one here who's reading books :Oo:

Dune is awesome!
I've read the Mistborn The final emipre and it was entertaining; then started on the 2nd book ... but it got boring really fast for me and I stopped reading it half way through.
Then again I'm not such a big fan of fantasy worlds, magic and super powers...
I'm more into space scify (Dune, Old Man's War, Foundation etc). It's probably because these are attainable to some degree - more grounded in reality than magic.

Like trollin said... keep posting :SOA:

BoogieM

Postby Triple_A » 26 Aug 2015 12:39

I agree with Boogie. I have the same taste in books. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we are brothers :P
I read the Mistborn series and I have to say that I had to power through the last book because he was repeating a lot of stuff which bored me. I understand that he had to repeat all that stuff for people who did not read the first 2 books but still, too much is too much.
The Dune books are by far my favorite books (all 13 of them). Frank Herbert and his son have created such a fascinating and complex universe.

Triple_A

Postby Ephemerich » 26 Aug 2015 21:05

That is the case in most (if not all) series if you read all of them without taking a break. They repeat themselves at some point. But since it takes a few years for a new book to be published after the last one, people forget the story/characters etc, and the book seems awesome with its flaws.

Ephemerich

Previous

Return to Public Friends' Section