Login or register with Wargaming Account

Worth Reading

Post things that don't have to remain secret here.
Access: Registered users (read&post) and guests (read only).

Moderators: Officer, Commander

Re: Worth Reading

Postby I_Manth » 01 Mar 2015 18:07

nkouhoe wrote:Anyway 1984 anyone? :)

I've read it. Unfortunally some politicians did too, and they mistake a warning for a manual. :(

An obvious recommendation would be Animal Farm, of the same author.

I_Manth

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Ephemerich » 01 Mar 2015 18:31

So, I've finished "The Martian" and at the end, I agree with this guy.

It doesn't contain any spoiler.
phpBB [video]

Ephemerich

Postby kihrEx » 02 Mar 2015 20:23

haven't read anything in a while, but this one was a good read :dealwithit:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Ar ... 1780191642

Image Image
kihrEx

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby CandyVanMan » 03 Mar 2015 10:21

Recently read the first book of the Hyperion Cantos, would recommend.
Gonna save the next books for the plane trip to and from Tokyo, so I can only vouch for the awesomeness of the first book.
http://www.goodreads.com/series/40461-hyperion-cantos
It's a mix of sci-fi, horror, crime and even some comedy in there.

Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch your opponents, and live like a windrammer as you fuck.
CandyVanMan

Postby BoogieM » 03 Mar 2015 10:45

CandyVanMan wrote:It's a mix of sci-fi, horror, crime and even some comedy in there.

Your avatar and signature scared me enough to make me wonder if I should read even the first pages of the first book of that series. :Oo:
Then I read the comments ... and they seem to agree with my assessment.
:waxx25:

I think I'll pick it up a tad later when I'll be in the horror mood. Thanks

BoogieM

Postby AngryBanana » 03 Mar 2015 17:41

kihrEx wrote:haven't read anything in a while, but this one was a good read :dealwithit:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Ar ... 1780191642

That is more my kind of book :SOA:

This is one of my favourites:
http://www.amazon.com/Armored-Thunderbo ... 0811704246

Shitloads of info obviously about the Sherman, but also a lot on tank warfare in general, the Sherman's predecessors(M2 medium, M3 Lee/Grant), some about other stuff based on the M4, and a lot about the US doctrine prior to and during WW2.

AngryBanana

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby ThunderLeopard » 22 Mar 2015 17:11

CandyVanMan wrote:Recently read the first book of the Hyperion Cantos, would recommend.
Gonna save the next books for the plane trip to and from Tokyo, so I can only vouch for the awesomeness of the first book.
http://www.goodreads.com/series/40461-hyperion-cantos
It's a mix of sci-fi, horror, crime and even some comedy in there.

That was one of the first sci-fi books i read it got me into the genre cannot vouch enough how awesome that book is.

ThunderLeopard

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Ephemerich » 17 Apr 2015 11:09

So, I've finished reading The 5th Wave. It's a pretty good book. Actually, it's a great book...

Now I'm going for the second book of the series.

Ephemerich

Postby Ephemerich » 05 May 2015 22:00

The Infinite Sea was a good book, now I can't wait for the last book of the series. There're a lot of questions... Anyway, I started reading Mistborn series.

Ephemerich

Postby Ephemerich » 18 May 2015 20:43

I've finished the first book, The Final Empire. I must say this; wow... Seriously; wow... Once you get into that world, its pretty much impossible to get out. All I wanted was keep reading more and more, every other things, like movies, games, eating, drinking etc seemed like distractions. Can't wait to start the second book, The Well of Ascension. People say the last two books are better than the first one. I hope they are right :SOA:

Ephemerich

Postby GeneralBierkoenig » 23 May 2015 00:34

I_Manth wrote:
nkouhoe wrote:Anyway 1984 anyone? :)

I've read it. Unfortunally some politicians did too, and they mistake a warning for a manual. :(

An obvious recommendation would be Animal Farm, of the same author.

I just say Facebook, Murica, CIA ....

Daggerheart (22:50:13) thats enough for me... xen is the snake in paradise
Daggerheart (22:50:27) just listen to his voice, he hisses like a dangerous snake
Daggerheart (22:50:38) hehe
GeneralBierkoenig

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby GeneralBierkoenig » 23 May 2015 21:27

Currently reading the Malazan Book of the fallen. It is a high fantasy series consisting of 10 seperate books. I've started reading because I was waiting for ASOIAF: Winds of Winter and I've heard that this series is similar from it's setting but than I've noticed that this series is probably better than the whole ASOIAF series, plus the series is finished so there is no stupid waiting for the next book. :SOA:

Btw. Orwells Book "1984" was part of my english education at school and I liked it despite it's "ungood" or shall I say wicked setting. If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend you to do that and from what I know it is cheap and there are also some versions with some vocabulary/translated words inside the book, so you won't miss anything and can read it in it's original language.

Daggerheart (22:50:13) thats enough for me... xen is the snake in paradise
Daggerheart (22:50:27) just listen to his voice, he hisses like a dangerous snake
Daggerheart (22:50:38) hehe
GeneralBierkoenig

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Ephemerich » 18 Jun 2015 22:12

Okay, here's the deal: Brandon Sanderson is an amazing writer. He is now one of my favorite author of all time if not the number 1. The guy knows what to write and knows how to write it. I've read 5 of his books until now, Mistborn Trilogy and first 2 books from The Stormlight Archive which is going to be a series of 10 books. I've decided to read all of his books without hesitation. As long as the name Brandon Sanderson written on it, I would still read that even if its a piece of shit.

I can assure you that he is one of the greatest fantasy author of our time, and you would miss so much if not give him a try. You can do what I did and start with Mistborn Trilogy then go for his other books. It seems that The Stormligh Archive is going to be his greatest achievement. But the downside is he has published only the first 2 books. You will have to wait for the other 8. But on the bright side, the guy writes 2 books per year and every book from The Stormlight Archive is 1000 pages long. So, yeah, he can write faster than you can read. But not if you bury yourself in the series and be done whit it in 2 weeks :D

PS: Yesterday I was waiting in a line to get on a bus and there was a selfish guy who didn't pay respect to the line and jumped on the bus. That made everyone on the line look like fools. After a moment of feeling stressed, I noticed that I was gritting my teeth and squeezing my right hand into a fist and pointing it down. I was about to summon my Shardblade >:D

Ephemerich

Postby Thoryk » 23 Jun 2015 20:29

Is anyone of us into mangas or manhwas?

Thoryk
IDEAL Propaganda Minister
Thoryk

Officer
Officer

Postby ShrubberyCollector » 23 Jun 2015 20:38

Thoryk wrote:Is anyone of us into mangas or manhwas?

I used to be. I don't think tho that this fits into a thread about books. Mangas/comics/etc pretty much take away your own imagination about how the characters or the scenery looks like. Maybe create an own thread for this?

ShrubberyCollector

Postby Trac_uses_hax » 24 Jun 2015 12:09

This book is amazing <3

I am here cuz I love pink
Trac_uses_hax

Postby Ephemerich » 29 Jun 2015 21:31

So, I have read another book of Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker. It was a good book, though it was kind of short. By no mean, 500 pages is a pretty decent number for a book, but in comparison to Sanderson's other books it feels short.
I believe I'm addicted to Sanderson's books, and I really need help, or therapy. Lets see what I have read until now:

The Final Empire
The Well Of Ascension
Hero Of Ages
Steelheart
The Way Of Kings
Words Of Radiance
Warbreaker

But he is so good at world building. It doesn't feel fake, it doesn't feel like fantasy. It feels like reality. The religions, the people, the animals etc. he describes those things as if they're in this world, on a far away continent you've never visited before. It's like they are part of this world. And the magic systems!!! They are not vague, they are not incomprehensible. They are like a part of science. You can easily understand them and predict what would happen if one magic is used. You can literally calculate their effects...

Now, listen, you may not be a guy who enjoys fantasy books, or any kind of books for that matter. But just, just read The Final Empire... The writing style of Sanderson is simple, unique, no jibber jabber, straight to the point. You'll get into it easily, no doubt.
Although The Way Of Kings is better, and Words Of Radiance is ridiculously awesome, you are probably not ready for them. Just go and read the fucking The Final Empire!!!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/68428.The_Final_Empire?from_search=true&search_version=service_impr

Ephemerich

Postby Ephemerich » 01 Jul 2015 23:17

They are making a movie of The Martian. I'm not sure if Matt Damon is suited for that role though. Here's the trailer.

phpBB [video]

Ephemerich

Postby KingYoshiLuca » 02 Jul 2015 14:44

anyone who read "shining"? how good is it? I don't read a lot but I'm already at page 60 >:D
dont tell me its shit Kappa

KingYoshiLuca

Trial
Trial

Postby hypnotoes » 02 Jul 2015 16:15

KingYoshiLuca wrote:anyone who read "shining"? how good is it? I don't read a lot but I'm already at page 60 >:D
dont tell me its shit Kappa

Haven't read the book but boy was the movie good!

hypnotoes

PreviousNext

Return to Public Friends' Section