Login or register with Wargaming Account

stronk cars

Post things that don't have to remain secret here.
Access: Registered users (read&post) and guests (read only).

Moderators: Officer, Commander

Re: stronk cars

Postby Xen » 14 Jan 2019 17:53

new supra revealed

phpBB [video]

Xen

Commander
Commander

Postby TheGamingLion » 14 Jan 2019 18:37

Well, that was disappointing.

"Convneatftient." - Truln, 2020
TheGamingLion

Commander
Commander

Postby Xen » 14 Jan 2019 18:42

IDK, I really like it. It's a BMW though so that's a big fat nope

Xen

Commander
Commander

Postby NoobInOPTank » 09 Apr 2019 12:07

Paris_Hilton wrote:why not go for a 1jz gearbox ?
also the m3 engines (what was it the s38?) are capable of putting 1k hrsper :thinking:

1JZ gearboxes are also too expensive and gear ratios dont match the bmw diffs, the bmw transmissions are very cheap and very strong. Everything with an ///M on it is just overpriced and I really want to make some BMW fans mad >:D
I made some progress on some really boring stuff, like the shifter linkage, intake piping, brackets and cleaned up some stuff. Rear end is also done with new bushings everywhere, just needs some paint. Next step will be to cleanup the engine bay, install the rear end and see if it starts :O

NoobInOPTank

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Brati007 » 09 Apr 2019 22:14

NoobInOPTank wrote:
Paris_Hilton wrote:why not go for a 1jz gearbox ?
also the m3 engines (what was it the s38?) are capable of putting 1k hrsper :thinking:

1JZ gearboxes are also too expensive and gear ratios dont match the bmw diffs, the bmw transmissions are very cheap and very strong. Everything with an ///M on it is just overpriced and I really want to make some BMW fans mad >:D
I made some progress on some really boring stuff, like the shifter linkage, intake piping, brackets and cleaned up some stuff. Rear end is also done with new bushings everywhere, just needs some paint. Next step will be to cleanup the engine bay, install the rear end and see if it starts :O

ever thought of doing the detail tuning considering the engine by programming your own control software?

"it will be way too much work for one hand" nazifish2k15
Brati007

Postby NoobInOPTank » 10 Apr 2019 18:27

Brati007 wrote:ever thought of doing the detail tuning considering the engine by programming your own control software?

I have done a bit of tuning on my other car on the stock ECU. There is something called a speeduino which is more or less a budget standalone ECU, but the risk of a completely DIY ECU and tuning it yourself is pretty high. With 400 HP or more, you only need to run it a bit too lean or advance the ignition too far to kill your engine, so its not worth it. I might upgrade to a standalone ECU like an ECU Master and get it roughly tuned on low power, but with that much money you put into such a build, its just better to give it to somebody who knows what they are doing :P

NoobInOPTank

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Dr_Slartibartfart » 10 Apr 2019 18:30

NoobInOPTank wrote:
Brati007 wrote:ever thought of doing the detail tuning considering the engine by programming your own control software?

I have done a bit of tuning on my other car on the stock ECU. There is something called a speeduino which is more or less a budget standalone ECU, but the risk of a completely DIY ECU and tuning it yourself is pretty high. With 400 HP or more, you only need to run it a bit too lean or advance the ignition too far to kill your engine, so its not worth it. I might upgrade to a standalone ECU like an ECU Master and get it roughly tuned on low power, but with that much money you put into such a build, its just better to give it to somebody who knows what they are doing :P

You gotta give it to the right person who knows what they are doing. Cuz some people just start changing shit without checking what the effect of it is exactly.

Bois
Spoiler:
I'm still here

pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/h9nN9zdizaYPKX6h7
Dr_Slartibartfart

Postby Xen » 10 Apr 2019 21:47

AFAIK even most professional tuners tend to just outsource the engine tune stuff to other guys who know wtf they're doing, because it's really easy to get shit wrong.

Xen

Commander
Commander

Postby Brati007 » 11 Apr 2019 18:23

Xen wrote:AFAIK even most professional tuners tend to just outsource the engine tune stuff to other guys who know wtf they're doing, because it's really easy to get shit wrong.

yes but they dont modify shit, they write new codes from scratch on

Brati007

Postby Dr_Slartibartfart » 11 Apr 2019 18:41

Brati007 wrote:
Xen wrote:AFAIK even most professional tuners tend to just outsource the engine tune stuff to other guys who know wtf they're doing, because it's really easy to get shit wrong.

yes but they dont modify shit, they write new codes from scratch on

My teacher immersed himself into that shit once and looked what those engine tuners were doing. And he just saw that they were just changing shit, while knowing what thing it changed but not really knowing what the effect of it was. Those people don't know how the ecu of the car exactly works, to understand that you gotta research it research it really well. It's like object orientated programming. You know what happens at the surface, but not below, except that with ECUs it does matter what you do below the surface.

Bois
Spoiler:
I'm still here

Dr_Slartibartfart

Postby Xen » 12 Apr 2019 00:53

isn't all they do change the numbers in the huge chart of parameters that the ECU uses to know what the fuck it is to do in what situation...?

Xen

Commander
Commander

Postby Dr_Slartibartfart » 12 Apr 2019 07:47

Xen wrote:isn't all they do change the numbers in the huge chart of parameters that the ECU uses to know what the fuck it is to do in what situation...?

yes, but those numbers do more than one thinks.

Bois
Spoiler:
I'm still here

Dr_Slartibartfart

Postby Mettkrieger » 12 Apr 2019 09:48

Fairly sure that companies like Abt, MTM, Oettinger know what they're doing

Mettkrieger

Officer
Officer

Postby Xen » 12 Apr 2019 11:28

Dr_Starfart wrote:
Xen wrote:isn't all they do change the numbers in the huge chart of parameters that the ECU uses to know what the fuck it is to do in what situation...?

I'd still say that's just surface level editing. You aren't changing any of the underlying program, you just change the parameters it uses to do its magic.

Xen

Commander
Commander

Postby Brati007 » 12 Apr 2019 12:56

Xen wrote:
Dr_Starfart wrote:

I'd still say that's just surface level editing. You aren't changing any of the underlying program, you just change the parameters it uses to do its magic.

and thats why the good ones wont bother with modifing shiet and write a complete new one, knowing what the programm is considered to do.

afaik there are less than 15 man right now in germany that can be considered really good at this.

Brati007

Postby Xen » 12 Apr 2019 18:05

I'm sure there are more than 15 people responsible for engine tuning working for the German automakers.

What do you mean by "write a complete new one", though?

Xen

Commander
Commander

Postby Dr_Slartibartfart » 13 Apr 2019 00:35

Xen wrote:
Dr_Starfart wrote:

Yeah but changing parameters around can still fuck shit up if you don't know how those parameters get handled.

Bois
Spoiler:
I'm still here

Dr_Slartibartfart

Postby Paris_Hilton » 01 Jun 2019 19:58

update please :D

Paris_Hilton

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby NoobInOPTank » 13 Jun 2019 21:05

Not much to show at the moment, we painted a lot of parts and I assembled my big differential. School really doesnt help with building cars :( I will post an update when there is something i can show

NoobInOPTank

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby NoobInOPTank » 15 Aug 2019 13:55

Engine bay is painted!

NoobInOPTank

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

PreviousNext

Return to Public Friends' Section