Login or register with Wargaming Account

stronk games

Post things that don't have to remain secret here.
Access: Registered users (read&post) and guests (read only).

Moderators: Officer, Commander

Re: stronk games

Postby Dr_Slartibartfart » 01 Apr 2021 19:11

So not so long ago I remembered that the game Lotr: Battle for Middle Earth (II) exists.
For people who don't know it, it's an RTS game from 2006 centered around LoTR of course.

Since I was too lazy to search for the disc I had somewhere and finding a disc reader that I have somewhere to install the game, I found some other legal ways to acquire the product in question.
Then after playing it again and having lots of fun and good memories I decided what it takes to get good at the game as I never really was good at it. Then after a bit of searching, it turns out that for the Rise of the Witch King expansion. There is still an active community and competitive scene!
From what I have seen, this channel is the biggest of it:
https://www.youtube.com/c/BeyondStandards
https://www.twitch.tv/beyondstandards
It is still getting thousands of views and there is loads to learn from the pros as well.

I just love that this community is still so active. Their reddit is also still active. To everyone who wants to pick up a good old RTS game which is actually balanced. I can totally recommend taking a look into it again :)

Bois
Spoiler:
I'm still here

pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/h9nN9zdizaYPKX6h7
Dr_Slartibartfart

Postby Marliini » 01 Apr 2021 19:26

Dr_Slartibartfart wrote:So not so long ago I remembered that the game Lotr: Battle for Middle Earth (II) exists.
For people who don't know it, it's an RTS game from 2006 centered around LoTR of course.

Since I was too lazy to search for the disc I had somewhere and finding a disc reader that I have somewhere to install the game, I found some other legal ways to acquire the product in question.
Then after playing it again and having lots of fun and good memories I decided what it takes to get good at the game as I never really was good at it. Then after a bit of searching, it turns out that for the Rise of the Witch King expansion. There is still an active community and competitive scene!
From what I have seen, this channel is the biggest of it:
https://www.youtube.com/c/BeyondStandards
https://www.twitch.tv/beyondstandards
It is still getting thousands of views and there is loads to learn from the pros as well.

I just love that this community is still so active. Their reddit is also still active. To everyone who wants to pick up a good old RTS game which is actually balanced. I can totally recommend taking a look into it again :)

I wholeheartedly concur. I am glad it's not in my steam library so people can't see how many hours I might have in it, but I fear it might have been a lot. I didn't really play the base game, just borrowed the CD to install it and then played the Rise of the Witch-king with a CD bought for myself. I have never been much of a RTS player, but as I was huge LOTR fan so it was great fun with friends.
Rohirrim charge Kreygasm Also it was nice as I liked to play Men, another friend elves and a third played dwarves. Then you put bunch of baddies on the enemy team and fight. (Though dwarves were OP as hell)

'Flanking with the JP E-100 is easier and faster' Lion, beach of Overlord, 27/06/2021
Marliini

Postby Dr_Slartibartfart » 01 Apr 2021 19:53

when you look in the competitive scene, dwarves aren't actually considered OP. It's what i always felt too. It is just that dwarves are really strong up close. But when you can take some distance from them and just archer them to death its ez pickings. Also they are really slow. So a lot of things can outrun them. And I got exactly the same. have tried a few other RTS games, never really liked them as much as this one :D

Bois
Spoiler:
I'm still here

Dr_Slartibartfart

Postby Brati007 » 02 Apr 2021 04:49

sc:bw >> all (forever)

"it will be way too much work for one hand" nazifish2k15
Brati007

Postby Marliini » 02 Apr 2021 05:02

Dr_Slartibartfart wrote:when you look in the competitive scene, dwarves aren't actually considered OP. It's what i always felt too. It is just that dwarves are really strong up close. But when you can take some distance from them and just archer them to death its ez pickings. Also they are really slow. So a lot of things can outrun them. And I got exactly the same. have tried a few other RTS games, never really liked them as much as this one :D

I was thinking more about their economy. The bloody cave system which isn't only a farm, but also way to transport your troops to other side of the battle field to defend any farm or other structures under attack. And then being strong up close.

Brati007 wrote:sc:bw > > all (forever)

does it have Aragorn or rohirrim?

'Flanking with the JP E-100 is easier and faster' Lion, beach of Overlord, 27/06/2021
Marliini

Postby Dr_Slartibartfart » 03 Apr 2021 21:45

Marliini wrote:
Dr_Slartibartfart wrote:when you look in the competitive scene, dwarves aren't actually considered OP. It's what i always felt too. It is just that dwarves are really strong up close. But when you can take some distance from them and just archer them to death its ez pickings. Also they are really slow. So a lot of things can outrun them. And I got exactly the same. have tried a few other RTS games, never really liked them as much as this one :D

I was thinking more about their economy. The bloody cave system which isn't only a farm, but also way to transport your troops to other side of the battle field to defend any farm or other structures under attack. And then being strong up close.

Yeah just need to keep searching for tunnels the whole time and take em down. But you can very easily take them down if you got a few mobile units just roaming as the dwarves cant catchup ever. If they jump out of a cave, go to the other one, etc.

Bois
Spoiler:
I'm still here

Dr_Slartibartfart

Postby Mettkrieger » 19 Sep 2021 15:45

So since D2: R is on the horizon:

Anyone of you guys going to play it? :)

Mettkrieger

Officer
Officer

Postby Dr_Oolen » 20 Sep 2021 20:26

Mettkrieger wrote:So since D2: R is on the horizon:

Anyone of you guys going to play it? :)

Sooner or later for sure my dude. I hope it doesnt turn into another borderlands 3 for me.

"gonna play the shit out of that game" -> never really feel like i have the time or mood to even begin and get properly into it -> never even buy it and install it

:truln:

But that said I have prepared in my mind what characters/builds I'd grind out.

trapsin/javazon/poisonmancer Kreygasm

Dr_Oolen

Officer
Officer

Postby Mettkrieger » 20 Sep 2021 21:26

Dr_Oolen wrote:

So you're going Sorc first so you can get the gear easier? (just like 90% of the playerbase)

Mettkrieger

Officer
Officer

Postby Dr_Oolen » 21 Sep 2021 08:11

Mettkrieger wrote:
Dr_Oolen wrote:

So you're going Sorc first so you can get the gear easier? (just like 90% of the playerbase)

I actually thought about being just the average riturd playing first what I dont want to play in order to be able to play what i actually want to play... but then i realized i am not that sort of riturd and for the sake of nostalgy i am willing to be inefficient and to play something that kinda sucks ass for a long time before you drop something good Kappa

So my idea of playing D2R consists of starting off with trapsin/javazon and playing those slowly and painfully, enjoying the suck. And on those I will slowly farm stuff for the necro. But it might so happen that i will never drop the poison wand, without which the poison necro is really unplayable. And if that happens and i get bored with the assassin and amazon I will just start regular old summoner or bonemancer. And who knows, the devs hinted at maybe tweaking the game even after release, maybe doing some rebalancing, which could make other characters interesting to me again. Imagine if they somehow made melee/physical characters not super shit (and not purely dependent on all the expensive runewords) and if they even made two handed weapons worth using outside some meme builds.

Also, sorc is quite possibly the character i enjoy/ed the least historically. Well, i guess barb and druid i never liked either. But in case of barb its probably just that he sucks ass and that druid has only 1 playable build, which is basically just a worse sorc... :D I guess, if i had to, id rather make a smiter for ubers farming than make a sorc for general farming in the beginning.

What are you going to play? (or what do you want to play?)

Dr_Oolen

Officer
Officer

Postby Mettkrieger » 22 Sep 2021 13:24

Dr_Oolen wrote:What are you going to play? (or what do you want to play?)

I'll start with Sorc to farm gear. Not sure what I'm going to play afterwards. I'd be tempted by (in nor particular order): Windruid, Javazone, Hammerdin, Bone-Necro

Guess I'll decide based on gear that I find along the way. Enigma is going to be one of my first (endgame) crafts, since it's needed in so many builds.

What's your b.net? I'm Mettkrieger#2296

Mettkrieger

Officer
Officer

Postby Dr_Oolen » 24 Sep 2021 14:58

Mettkrieger wrote:
Dr_Oolen wrote:What are you going to play? (or what do you want to play?)

I'll start with Sorc to farm gear. Not sure what I'm going to play afterwards. I'd be tempted by (in nor particular order): Windruid, Javazone, Hammerdin, Bone-Necro

Guess I'll decide based on gear that I find along the way. Enigma is going to be one of my first (endgame) crafts, since it's needed in so many builds.

What's your b.net? I'm Mettkrieger#2296

I will check what it is when i get to actually downloading battle net client and shitz :)

edit: teente#2736

Dr_Oolen

Officer
Officer

Postby ConTroll » 23 Oct 2021 13:20

phpBB [video]

It is VERY NICE :)

Slayer of Artillery
Rammer of Things
Spoiler:
ConTroll