Login or register with Wargaming Account

Gaming pc which is also good for streaming < 1k euro

Post things that don't have to remain secret here.
Access: Registered users (read&post) and guests (read only).

Moderators: Officer, Commander

Re: Gaming pc which is also good for streaming < 1k euro

Postby Swoopie » 28 Nov 2016 10:42

Just gonna hijack this thread, planning on buying a SSD to replace my laptops 5400rpm HDD. Done a bit of research and ended up on this: (Just listing these from amazon, gonna order from a finnish site):
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-52 ... B01IAGSD68 (525gb one, it's about ~135e from Finland)

For comparison, the Samsung 850 EVO 500gb (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch ... B00OBRE5UE) costs ~170e here and that's starting to be a bit too much for me. I guess the 850 EVO 250gb model is an option (Around 100e), but I feel like I'm starting to compromise too much storage capacity for performance (I'd prefer 500gb one).

Usage? Gaming, some photoshopping (Very seldom though) and movies (No 4k ones, mainly 720p). Just looking to get a bit of fresh air into this thing and I can transfer the SSD later on to a PC if I decide to build one.

Just wondering if there's something bad about the SSD I picked/Better alternatives for similar price?

Last edited by Swoopie on 28 Nov 2016 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Swoopie

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Orrie » 28 Nov 2016 10:52

>2TB SSDs
Holy shit, I didn't know they grew them this big.

Anyways, I've personally always liked Corsairs SSDs, but I don't really know how well they're performing these days.
After some quick looking, you have the LE series :^) https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-SA ... 2BSSD&th=1
A few dollerinos more, less space, but a bit faster. (Though, SSDs are generally fast enough).
But it looks like you're paying too much for what you're getting, so I'd go for the Crucial.

Though, looking at the reviews (Even if they're favourable), there are some recurring stuff about cloning harddrives and lack of software information.
But I guess that's more a consumer/software issue, and not really hardware or performance issue.
So if you're going to use it from scratch without cloning a previous harddrive, it looks pretty good.

I also checked some reviews, and it's apparently the most bought these days because of the low price/size ratio.

Go for it.
:SOA:

Orrie

Commander
Commander

Postby Swoopie » 28 Nov 2016 11:02

Orrie wrote:After some quick looking, you have the LE series :^) https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-SA ... 2BSSD&th=1
A few dollerinos more, less space, but a bit faster. (Though, SSDs are generally fast enough).
But it looks like you're paying too much for what you're getting, so I'd go for the Crucial.

Yeah the 240gb Force is about 90e here and the 480gb model is 5-10e cheaper than the Samsung equivalent at which point I'd just go for the Samsung. But yeah, guess I'll go for the Crucial, looks like I'd be getting decent performance+capacity for a fair price.

Swoopie

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Dr_Hamu » 28 Nov 2016 13:06

I have experience with a kingston hyperx, an OCZ and a samsung drive, all.have been splendid. Just dont buy the crappiest one and you should be fine.

Loading Image

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Dr_Hamu

Officer
Officer

Postby Orrie » 28 Nov 2016 13:31

I think SSDs are black and white when it comes to the average consumer, they're either utter shit, or good.

Orrie

Commander
Commander

Postby Gyre » 28 Nov 2016 16:31

The MX300 are fine as long as there is space left on them. It uses a dynamic part of the storage as cache, and when you fill it up its obvious gets less and less and slows down quite a bit. If this isn't an issue it's hard to beat at such a low price. If you have the money you can't go wrong with the Samsung 850. It's faster and offers a 5 year warranty but you do end up paying more.

Gyre

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Swoopie » 28 Nov 2016 19:32

Gyre wrote:The MX300 are fine as long as there is space left on them. It uses a dynamic part of the storage as cache, and when you fill it up its obvious gets less and less and slows down quite a bit. If this isn't an issue it's hard to beat at such a low price. If you have the money you can't go wrong with the Samsung 850. It's faster and offers a 5 year warranty but you do end up paying more.

With my usage I can keep around 200gb free on it, so should be fine.

Swoopie

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby BoogieM » 29 Nov 2016 10:17

You can use this site to make your mind. It's with user submitted benchmarks.

E.g:
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Sa ... 2977vs3642

BoogieM

Postby Cannot_Gitgud » 03 Dec 2016 17:53

PC Gamer just released a new article, might be usefull:

http://www.pcgamer.com/build-guide-the-best-cheap-gaming-pc/

Cannot_Gitgud

Friend of IDEAL
Friend of IDEAL

Previous

Return to Public Friends' Section