Login or register with Wargaming Account

stronk interwebz stuff

Post things that don't have to remain secret here.
Access: Registered users (read&post) and guests (read only).

Moderators: Commander, Officer

Re: stronk interwebz stuff

Postby Not_a_Tesla » 20 Sep 2014 19:34

it depends what wave is it and what metal is it tbh... but you get sparks when it has SHARP edges cus it's the place where the most electrons gather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect for those who want to know m0ar

No Comrade Premier, it has only beguin.
Not_a_Tesla

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Arafel » 20 Sep 2014 20:51

Teslaptak wrote:it depends what wave is it and what metal is it tbh... but you get sparks when it has SHARP edges cus it's the place where the most electrons gather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect for those who want to know m0ar

Lol, photoelectric effect has nothing to do with it, you need at least visible light to emit electrons from alkali metals, and for most metals you need UV or even higher energy photons, while a microwave photon only has a fraction of the energy of visible light.

Arafel

Postby Paris_Hilton » 20 Sep 2014 21:16

siema to physics

Paris_Hilton

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Not_a_Tesla » 20 Sep 2014 21:38

Arafel wrote:
Teslaptak wrote:it depends what wave is it and what metal is it tbh... but you get sparks when it has SHARP edges cus it's the place where the most electrons gather.

Lol, photoelectric effect has nothing to do with it, you need at least visible light to emit electrons from alkali metals, and for most metals you need UV or even higher energy photons, while a microwave photon only has a fraction of the energy of visible light.

is it Eddy current then?

No Comrade Premier, it has only beguin.
Not_a_Tesla

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby nkouhoe » 20 Sep 2014 23:00

Well the microwave is not using light, so what you posted first cant be the case really.
Is there any effect when waves of different magnitude collide cause thats whats happening for sure.

nkouhoe

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Arafel » 21 Sep 2014 07:48

Teslaptak wrote:
Arafel wrote:

is it Eddy current then?

Probably, I'm a chemist, not a physicist so I'm not entirely sure if it is the correct term, but the process does look like what happens to metal in microwaves, since the electrons stay inside the metal (unlike what happens with the photoelectric effect, where you emit the electrons).

@nko, what we call light are just electromagnetic waves and only their frequency (or energy, these are directly proportional) determines how we call it, but there is no fundamental difference between x-ray/gamma, UV, visible, IR, microwave and radio waves. For the photoelectric effect to occur you need radiation that has a sufficiently high frequency, which is visible or UV light, depending on the metal

Arafel

Postby gigeli » 21 Sep 2014 10:43

Spoiler:

gigeli

Postby _GLaDOS » 21 Sep 2014 10:45

Countryballs ftw!

But its time to unpimp something!!! Ze görman engineering, yeah!

_GLaDOS

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby wetlioN » 21 Sep 2014 11:41

Paris_Hilton wrote:You have to grow balls and deal with the dicks or you end up being the pussy.
wetlioN

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Brati007 » 21 Sep 2014 11:49

_GLaDOS wrote:Countryballs ftw!

But its time to unpimp something!!! Ze görman engineering, yeah!

better than the shit with helene >:D cause of ze german engineering in ze house

"it will be way too much work for one hand" nazifish2k15
Brati007

Postby H311fi5h » 21 Sep 2014 12:45

Arafel wrote:
Teslaptak wrote:
Arafel wrote:

is it Eddy current then?

Probably, I'm a chemist, not a physicist so I'm not entirely sure if it is the correct term, but the process does look like what happens to metal in microwaves, since the electrons stay inside the metal (unlike what happens with the photoelectric effect, where you emit the electrons).

@nko, what we call light are just electromagnetic waves and only their frequency (or energy, these are directly proportional) determines how we call it, but there is no fundamental difference between x-ray/gamma, UV, visible, IR, microwave and radio waves. For the photoelectric effect to occur you need radiation that has a sufficiently high frequency, which is visible or UV light, depending on the metal

The microwaves induce circular electric currents which causes the conductor to heat up. You can see this effect by microwaving a paper clip. Bend it open to form a ring with a few milimeters distance between the ends. With just the right air gap you get a nice electric arc. Close the ring and it will melt in seconds. You can try this at home, but place the paper clip on an old plate or board in case it melts.

H311fi5h

Commander
Commander

Postby Paris_Hilton » 21 Sep 2014 16:36

ok i'll try it :paris_hilton: :paris_hilton:

Paris_Hilton

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby wetlioN » 21 Sep 2014 18:02

Paris_Hilton wrote:You have to grow balls and deal with the dicks or you end up being the pussy.
wetlioN

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby HowTheStoryEnds » 21 Sep 2014 18:25

:sealmato: I could use a walkthrough to that video

edit:
at least this is simple enough for me to get :groove:

HowTheStoryEnds

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Paris_Hilton » 21 Sep 2014 22:53

>:D >:D

Paris_Hilton

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Bowser_nl » 22 Sep 2014 10:43

veitileiN wrote:

These mlg videos are so retarded i can't stop laughing. I lost it at when the girl said "wow".

Image Image Image
Bowser_nl

Full-time Seal Designer
Full-time Seal Designer

Postby HowTheStoryEnds » 22 Sep 2014 10:44

HowTheStoryEnds

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Bwargh » 22 Sep 2014 12:28

Bowser_nl wrote:
Spoiler:
veitileiN wrote:

These mlg videos are so retarded i can't stop laughing. I lost it at when the girl said "wow".

It makes me really want to make Youtube poop again :D

Bwargh

Postby wetlioN » 22 Sep 2014 12:59

Bowser_nl wrote:
Spoiler:
veitileiN wrote:

tl;dr version of the interwebs >:D

wetlioN

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby HowTheStoryEnds » 22 Sep 2014 13:15

for all those internet grandpas (like me) who didn't get the references

HowTheStoryEnds

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

PreviousNext

Return to Public Friends' Section